Monday, July 31, 2017

Back to Scooby in Kalami

Erikousa was an awesome anchorage and with a quick spy-hop in the middle of the night we had done a 180 and in the morning we were back with our transom pointing at the new marina that is being built. We decided to have breakfast in town and put the engine on the dinghy. I had spent an hour putting the RIB repair kit to use the previous evening and, shocker of shockers, Bonnie was pumped up to see us. We lit up the trusty Suzuki and headed in towards town (both restaurants and the mini-market). We sat down at an outdoor table and waved at a very disinterested waitress. Actually, that isn’t entirely true, I’m pretty sure that she was very interested in her iPhone. Anyway, the girls ordered omelettes and I ordered yoghurt and honey. I reckoned correctly that I would be able to eat both an omelette and yoghurt … and I was right. I also got to eat all of Jess’ tomatoes … very strategic ordering.
Heading out after breakfast
We then walked along the beach and I did a little bit of jogging. I had a brief conversation with an Italian woman who was asking if I was counting steps. I pointed to my Garmin & she laughed … una mille steps … we gave each other the thumbs up and carried on. The girls were in a deep conversation, not sure about what, but I wasn’t included .

We made it back to Tara and picked up anchor and decided to go back on the inside of Corfu. The outside has not much to see other than rocks so we decided we’d head back to the inside – with food, tavernas and good anchorages. Besides, the girls were missing the dog Scooby and wanted to go see him again. 
The handsome Scoobmeister!
There wasn’t a breath of wind when we left at noon and headed off back towards Corfu. After a couple of hours of powering we hoisted the spinnaker. It’s pretty big so we are a bit careful with it. Over the next couple of hours the wind continued to both build and move further aft. Once the wind was above 12-14 knots we decided to take it down but I made a few mistakes. First when you’re heading downwind it’s nearly impossible to pull the sock down the spinnaker. At one point I was nearly lifted off my feet as I’m trying to pull the sock down. I yelled for help, but wasn't thinking. We should have headed up, taken the power out of it and then pulled like the dickens. Instead I was pulling the sock down and fighting against it wanting to go up as it fills. Marina helped and we ended up getting it down, with me breathing heavily – about 50% from panic and 50% from exertion. Jess said it was the first time she’s heard my voice go up in panic – I would suggest not panic but urgent concern as my fingers were being crushed by the rope and I was being lifted off the deck by a very large sail. Head up, take the wind out of it, no problem. I need to think a little more about these maneuvers. I guess my head is so into airplanes these days that I am not thinking through my sailing moves.

With the spinnaker down we pulled out the jib and were still pushing high-5 knots and then turned the corner. The ladies wanted to head back to Kalami where we know there is both good food and a mini market to buy supplies. We passed a beautiful classic Dutch yacht on the way into the bay, and Marina ran the bow while Jess managed the helm. They both did a great job and we were very snug with a half-mile of chain on the ground. Just as we were anchoring a guy zoomed in with a rental boat and one of our British bay-mates gave him the “what-for” letting loose a few f-bombs … we laughed … this bay has a water-ski company in the corner – was he expecting a quiet anchorage? There are some yachties who just grumble grumble grumble …

We took to the water to cool down and scrubbed some of the scum off of Tara’s waterline. Amazing that after only two weeks the amount of gook that can cling to a clean and waxed hull.  This cooled us down and then Jess started reading her book A Man Called Ove aloud. She’s a terrific reader and it was quite entertaining.
Dinner at Thomas' Place included two
complimentary shots at the end, one Lemon Cello
and one a Kumquat Liqueur...both yum. 



No comments:

Post a Comment