Friday, July 22, 2016

Come Hell or High-water, we are outta Gaios


We’ve had a pretty crummy last week in terms of weather and luck. The collision at Sivota, the rat a Gaios … And 3 days with 30 knots forecast during the evening had us looking for places to hide out. I think our current cadence is a maximum of 2 days per location, then it is time to move on. This week we have had 3 days in Sivota and 3 days in Gaios – so we are itching to get going. We hope that our rat problem is behind us so at around 14:00 we set off from Gaios, lifted our anchor and motored down to Antipaxos where Ross managed to free-dive to 17 meters below Tomskii, once using fins, and once without fins. According to my calculations, that’s 57 feet. Me, I start to run out of breath when I go under Tara’s keel at 2.3 meters – Ross goes another 50 feet deeper than I do … Sheesh, it scares me a bit because he’s down so long and if he got into trouble, I don’t know if I could help him.
Tomskii in the background making tracks.

Anyway after a couple or hours of swimming, we pointed the nose of Tara to Pargas and had a really nice sail with Tomskii … They must have been working hard because for the first time in recent memory, they were faster than us. We managed to close about a half mile distance and got ahead of them, then they sailed right by us and led us into Pargas … Good for them. Time to consider some new sails!

No comments:

Post a Comment