Saturday, June 11, 2016

Ka-Boom … Why you never try to fix your own stove



The stove on Tara had a burner pack it in last year so I took it upon myself to fix it. I took the parts home to Vancouver and over the course of a year completely ignored them. I tried to get it all working again and put the stove in the boat and lit it up … yeah … both burners working fine … then boom … 


We missed the photo op so .. use your imagination

about a ½ cubic meter fireball came out of the stove. I calmly turned off the burners, yelled to Ross to turn off the gas at the bottle while I turned off the gas at the stove.

The next couple of minutes were filled with some acrid smoke as the insulation on the stove burned away … doop-dee-doo while I had to unscrew the pieces I had assembled to get to it. Suffice it to say that work was over.

We were stoveless for a couple of days until we got to Lefkas where I knew there were stove parts. I took the pieces in and he laughed … probably 400Euros to fix because the aluminum/stainless screws had seized, the diffuser was not flat, the gas pipes had leaks.


Our new safe stove
At that moment I made the command decision (after calling Marina for moral support) to buy a new stove, unceremoniously dropping the old one off at the dumpster. The only problem was that the new stove (exact stove as we had before) had a different propane connection … so we needed to wait for 2 days to have that shipped from Athens. Like I always say … sometimes it is best just to open up your wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment